Week 3A Communication

In all my years of adulting (which aren't many), doing all the things that adults have to do like, pay bills, buy stuff, work, and then buy other stuff. I don't think I've ever had any trouble communicating with any brands or businesses, and I think social media has played a big role in why. In an age where anything can go viral in a matter of hours, it's easy for things to take a turn for the worst after the smallest slip up, especially for a business. So being able to resolve issues, and communicate clearly what those issues are with customers is very important for any business big or small. 

I have a great example from personal experience that I'll share. About a year ago I came across a denim company on Instagram whose products I really liked and was considering buying. Long story short, I ordered a pair of pants off their website, they were too small when I got them, so I had no choice but to try and exchange them or make a return. Prior to this I had never tried to exchange or return anything I had bought online so I was a bit hesitant with starting the process. First thing I did was message them on Instagram, it took a couple days to get a response, but I did, and they were able to walk me through the exchange process and withing a week I had a new pair a pants. The process was smooth as butter, and since then I've had similar experiences with other businesses. I think now days with social media its getting easier and easier to stay in contact with businesses. Especially since more and more businesses are realizing that having a social media presence is key no matter what kind of business you're running. Social media acts as a middle ground where both customers and businesses can interact with each other and communicate what needs (and wants) are being met, and which ones aren't. 

As I have mentioned before in previous posts I am a photographer, and most of what I do, and the people I meet are on Instagram. Every time I shoot with someone I always try and get their opinions on my work, what they liked or didn't like, small things they might change, or anything really that would help me improve my skills as a photographer. I take the positive and praising comments with thanks, and anything else as constructive criticism. In fact I much prefer criticism over praise because I learn more from my failures than from my successes. Failing, or falling short of my intended goal just means there's room for improvement and that my skill set is still expanding. 

All in all, social media has forever changed the way we communicate with one another, and will continue to evolve/ improve the way we communicate within all of our relationships, whether it be personal or professional.

Comments

  1. I like that you ask for feedback, a lot of people (self included) have a hard time with criticism so that's awesome that you use it to better your business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian, I think it is great business tactic that you solicit feedback through social media, and that most importantly, you incorporate changes to your business based on these comments. Having social media platforms just doesn't seem to be enough. It's what businesses do with the feedback that matters. Best of luck to you with your photography business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your experience of purchasing jeans online and having to return them is a great example of communication between business and customer! Like you, I'm always hesitant to buy any clothing online but it sounds like in your case, the company utilized social media in a meaningful way to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a great point about social media being the middle ground between companies and consumers, it really is a great tool for both to communicate. Also, I like how you shared that you prefer criticisms of your work because it enables you to better yourself and your business. It really makes me think that next time I take a survey for a company I should be more honest instead of just easily saying service was great when it could have been better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Template Choice.

Week 10: Being personal & Human Interest